Sunday, January 24, 2010

ARG!

I think the second most stressful part of being a parent of small kids is getting them ready to go out the door (the worst stresser is waking up screaming at 2 am and then not going back to sleep). The getting-ready-to-go-out-the-door process exponentially complicates itself in the cold winter due to coats and shoes even though you might only be going 20 feet from your doorstep to the car, to another doorstep.

Late last night I was getting the three kids ready to leave my mom's house after the Jazz game. Maggie is at the age where she can dress herself 50 to 75% of the way, but then needs help with one thing or another. She was putting her coat on and had one arm in, but was struggling with the other. She was bending her arm back funny like happens sometimes and so she was missing the sleeve. She asked me for help, and silly mean old me, instead of having her readjust her arm, I just forced it until it went in the sleeve hole, at which point a loud pop was heard. She screamed "OWWW!!!" but didn't cry and her shoulder didn't look dislocated and she still had full range of motion, so being the proud, reassuring parent, I just rubbed it and said, you'll be OK.

So then this morning she was watching me put a coat on one of the twins. After I was done she said, "Good job brudder! Daddy not breaka your arm. Daddy breaka my arm Grandma's house." I had to laugh. She is a good sport. I am glad kids are made of rubber and they don't break that easily. I am surprised that none of them have had to have stitches yet. By the time I was their cumulative age (~6.5 years) I had had stitches at least 3 times.

Here are some pictures of the twins the Sunday before Christmas. Things started out good with a standoff-ish high five and went downhill from there.


 
Will is really good at arching his back. I think he will make a fine wrestler.

4 comments:

Megan said...

good post, honey. That sound like something Maggie would say "good job, honey!'

Ginna said...

I love that Dan, it's really funny. And I agree, getting little ones ready to go out the door is so hard and SO stressful. x3 for youguys!!

Allen said...

Dan, I was laughing so hard at your post I had to read it out loud to my wife. We both sat here laughing, and sympathizing. Thanks for sharing how hard it is to be a mean old dad. Only us dads know how hard it really can be, especially at 2am with a screaming 3 year old.
I just found your blog through a high school friend (I think). Thanks for posting.

Camille said...

I'm still laughing!!! i keep forgetting you have a blog and you are as hilarious and fun as your wife. Which is kinda ironic since I knew you first and I still haven't met your wife in person..... heh heh